Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Uncle Keong – Malaysia’s most honest cab driver

Hey guys,

I believe that good deeds should be rewarded so lemme share you a story.

Last month, on the only day I decided to take an LRT in 2009, the bloody thing breakdown. So I waited as the train crawled to Bangsar station, got down, and jumped into a cab. Because I was already late for my appointment, I was in a hurry to get off once i reached Mandarin Oriental. Only after my appointment did I realise that I left my 2-month old iPod Classic 160GB in the back seat!

Because I didn't get the cab's number or company, the only thing I could do was to call the Mandarin Oriental and ask them to just check if any cab driver would return it the next day. I asked them to call me back the next day to double check and they said they would. Unfortunately, they didn't.

Assuming it was lost, I was thinking of getting another one. Luckily I am a procrastinator, cos 2 weeks later I get a note saying that my iPod is with my neighbour! I am totally confused, but when I go to collect it, my neighbour says the cab driver tried dropping it off at my house but i wasn't home. So he left it with a note.

Dear Lau Chak Onn,

I found your iPod in my back seat. Call me at 012 923 2333.

Uncle Keong


HOW THE HECK DID HE KNOW MY FULL NAME AND MY ADDRESSS?!
When I called hi that night and explained who i was, he sorta mumbled into the phone something like

I can't hear you... Ï'm drinking, call me tomorrow!

Next day when I called him, he said he passed the phone to his daughter, who pressed some buttons and found my home address AND my IC and full name! Confused, I thanked him for returning the iPod, and wanted to meet up with him to offer an AngPow. He said he was very busy and would call me when i was in his area.

After I hung up, I immediately went to my iPod to see what button he pressed. At first I thought because I bought it online that Apple puts your data in there. But it wasn't in the About section, it was in the Photo section cos iTunes automatically syncs with My Pictures, and I had a very old scan of my IC there!
And up to today (about 2 weeks after the incident), Uncle Keong hasn't even called to collect his reward.

3 Lessons I have learnt from this.

  1. Even when in a rush, always remember the cab number if you can, and look back at your seat.
  2. Be careful what you sync on your iPod
  3. Sometimes, a Malaysian cab driver can offer much better service than the ridiculously expensive Mandarin Oriental

Thanks for listening, and Thanks to Uncle Keong for giving us hope in an increasingly hopeless country.

Please give him business at 012 923 2333.

chak
www.foldees.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cherry said...

Thank you for your post, I will call him this thursday, let see if he's like what youre thinking :)

chak said...

hahaha... don't expect a mercedes, but he's just a honest, chatty cab driver. I recently took him to the airport again.